A family was shocked to discover an eastern brown snake, one of the most venomous snakes in the world, swimming in the pool in their backyard in Australia.
A video posted on Facebook shows the snake in the water at the family’s home in Marino, a coastal suburb of Adelaide.
In the clip, posted on Snake Catchers Adelaide, the snake can be seen slithering in the overflow channel to “cool down in the heat.”
The Eastern brown snake is a highly venomous snake native to eastern and central Australia. Their venom is ranked as the second most toxic of any land snake in the world, based on tests on mice.
The species is believed to be nervous and may act defensively if surprised or alarmed, but will often choose to flee if approached from afar.
Though the exact number of snake bites is unknown, an estimated 5.4 million people are bitten each year, according to the World Health Organization. Around 81,000 to 138,000 people die each year because of snake bites and around three times as many permanent disabilities are caused by snakebites annually.
Earlier this month, an Australian reptile catcher responded to a home after an eastern brown snake was found entangled in wire netting.
Stuart McKenzie, the owner of relocation service Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7, said on his Facebook page on Tuesday that a woman who first spotted the 5-foot-long snake initially thought it was a relatively harmless tree snake.
“Very lucky that she called us,” McKenzie said in a video. In the clip, he can be seen using a pair of scissors to slowly free the snake from some netting in the backyard of the woman’s property in Buderim, an area of Queensland.
McKenzie is seen securing the snake’s head while cutting off some of the netting from its tail area, before putting it into a thick relocation bag.
A caption said responding to eastern brown call-out is “never an easy or quick job,” but confirmed the snake did not receive any injuries during his entanglement.
McKenzie wrote: “This healthy eastern brown snake did a great job of it, tangling from his head, half way down his body and right when the sun was going down.
“With time against us and the dangerous task at hand, I put him in a head grab and tried to keep him still so [the team] could cut the netting from his body and then work our way to the head to get him free, safely! Another reminder to dispose of netting in your yards as snakes and other animals get trapped and injured.”
In 2020, a man from Queensland survived an encounter with an eastern brown despite receiving multiple bites from the venomous reptile after accidentally standing on it.
Graham “Keith” Jackson, 61, went into respiratory arrest and stopped breathing while being rushed to hospital in October. He was resuscitated and made it to the facility alive, where he was administered with anti-venom.
Family Discover Deadly Eastern Brown Snake Swimming in Backyard Pool The British Journal Editors and Wire Services/ Newsweek.