The Professional Golfers Association of America voted Sunday to cancel the PGA Championship at President Trump’s New Jersey golf course next year over the US Capitol riot.
Seth Waugh, CEO of the PGA of America, said the organization was forced to cut ties with Trump and the golf club in Bedminster after his comments fueled a riot at the US Capitol building last week.
“We find ourselves in a political situation not of our making,” Waugh said. “Our feeling was given the tragic events of Wednesday that we could no longer hold it at Bedminster…The only real course of action was to leave.”
The board voted to scrap plans for the tournament because it’s beholden to “our members, for the game, for our mission and for our brand,” Waugh said.
The US Capitol riot — which resulted in five people dying as Trump-boosters breached the building — sparked a fierce debate among golfers about whether Trump’s contract with the PGA should be cancelled.
But Waugh said the move was more about business than politics.
“This is not because of any pressures we feel. We’re not being forced into a decision,” he said. “What matters most to our board and leadership is protecting our brand and reputation.”
The PGA is now hunting for a place to hold the tournament next year.
The PGA of America, which is made up of 29,000 golf professionals, signed the deal with Trump National in 2014.
In 2015, it pulled the PGA Grand Slam event at Trump National Los Angeles Golf Club after Trump made disparaging remarks about Mexican immigrants.
On Wednesday, far-right rioters, fueled by Trump’s comments, stormed the US Capitol in an attempt to stop the vote to certify President-elect Joe Biden’s victory.
With Post wires
PGA strips 2022 championship from Trump golf course after Capitol riot The British Journal Editors and Wire Services/ New York Post.