“Wipeout” contestant dies after finishing impediment course – Thebritishjournal

“Wipeout” contestant dies after completing obstacle course

A contestant on “Wipeout” has died after completing the game show’s obstacle course, authorities and sources close to the production said Friday.

The man, who was in his 30s, was declared dead at a hospital shortly before 7 p.m. Wednesday, Los Angeles County coroner’s spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said. The cause of death has not been released, and the man’s name is being withheld until relatives can be notified.

The reality competition show, in which contestants navigate an extreme obstacle course featuring giant balls and pitfalls that often result in spectacular crashes, ran on ABC from 2008 until 2014 and is being rebooted by TBS and production company Endemol Shine North America.

Two people close to the production said the man had completed the course on the show’s set in Santa Clarita, California, when he needed medical attention. He was helped by on-site medical staff until paramedics arrived and took him to the hospital. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

READ  Past evidence supports complete loss of Arctic sea-ice by 2035 -- Science News

The show stopped production Thursday and Friday and has a planned week off next week, they said. Its contestants undergo a medical exam before competing.

“We are devastated to have learned of his passing and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family.” TBS said in a statement.

Endemol Shine released a statement saying, “We offer our heartfelt condolences to the family and our thoughts are with them at this time.”

TBS announced in April that the show would be returning, and it said in September its new hosts would be John Cena and Nicole Byer. No premiere date had been set yet.

The death was first reported by TMZ.

“Wipeout” contestant dies after completing obstacle course The British Journal Editors and Wire Services/ CBS News.

READ  Ivory Coast election violence leaves a ‘dozen dead’ – Thebritishjournal Reports

Almost all The British Journal staff, including reporters, can be contacted by e-mail. In most cases the e-mail address follows this formula: first initial + last name + @thebritishjournal.com. For example, Laura F. Nixon is [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.